Friday, November 19, 2010

How to change a water pump in 89 Honda Prelude SI?

do i need to pull the timing cover off? do i need to drop the motor?How to change a water pump in 89 Honda Prelude SI?
Yes you need to pull off the timing cover because the water pump is driven by the timing belt, or at least in the way of it . No you dont have to drop the motor.How to change a water pump in 89 Honda Prelude SI?
CAREFULLY!!!! Thats all the knowledge I have for Non American cars. Yes, I do a Hyundai, but I don't dare mess with that stuff on it, just oil, brakes, and intake and exhaust.
It is essentially the same as a timing belt change to get to it, plus the simple pump change itself. The pump is driven by the timing belt (see first source) so this is the time to replace the belt, too. I'm not familiar with the Prelude, but in most Accords and Civics of that era the driver's side motor mount is removed to make room. The engine is supported by a floor jack under the oil pan, which also allows the end of the engine to be dropped a bit for better access.
I did a head-gasket job on my car, but before I did my head-gasket job, I replaced the water pump with a life-time warranty.



Really the only thing I had to do was make enough room to get my socket/ratchet by the water pump bolts. I only had to remove the radiator, and then the fan. I had plenty of room to replace my water pump. Not sure on your car, but it pretty much the same for any situation. If you have the room to get your tools in there.



The only reason you would take the timing cover off was to inspect or remove your old timing belt and or timing chain depending on what one you have.

No comments:

Post a Comment